Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Keepers of the Compost

In an effort to be "green" and to not waste good kitchen scraps I have a compost pile.  Brian bought it for me as a Valentine's/Housewarming gift the day I signed all the papers to my house.  Over a year later it should be full of great dirt, right?  Not quite.  Like growing grass, I have not mastered the art of composting either.  It is supposed to be extremely hot to break down all of the material we add...
Peek-a-Boo!
In the middle of August the girls will get in the composter to cool off.  I'd say I'm doing something wrong. haha!  My philosophy is that eventually everything will break down on it's own, hot or not.  In the meantime, the chickens have a great time hunting for bugs, food and lizards (Yes, they eat lizards.  It makes me sad).  They also spread all of the dirt out so that there's maybe a foot of dirt inside the actual bin, the rest is in a heap outside.  Way to go, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment