Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The New Additions to the Family

Well, as we all know I bought a house this past February.  Ever since I have been making it my own...I have rain barrels, a garden (Brian's garden), a compost pile and animals coming out my ears!  What better way to add to the craziness than to get chickens.  I was assured that chickens will eat every bug it comes in contact with so that's what sold me...not to mention they are cute and lay eggs.

Brian and I were going to build a coop, but then got smart...we started looking on Craigslist.  We found lots of coops ranging from $150-$1300!  When I found one I liked I called the seller just to get the dimensions and by the time I got off the phone with him I had already made arrangements to pick it up...that day...along with two chicks.  Why wait?  I was sold when he told me they lay green eggs. (Just bring the Ham and we'll have a Dr. Suess story).  Brian and I drove out to Grandview TX (aka middle of nowhere), picked up the coop, a bit of feed, 2 chicks and headed back to civilization.  
Pit stop at Sonic with the coop...isn't it cute?
By this time Brian has worked himself up because we do not have all of the gear the goes along with raising chickens (straw and a water bowl).  I'm just so excited to have baby chickens that I can hardly sit still.  The man said all they need is food and water so as long as I pay the water bill and have bugs in my backyard I think I'm set!  I've had goats and pigs so chickens can't be that hard...right?

We got home after dark.  It took all three of us to unload the coop.  It's heavier than it looks and poor Brian probably did most of the work.  I tried.  :)  Mom went to the store to get bedding for the girls and Brian and I got the coop ready for its new residents.  They were so dang cute!
The coop before the bedding...
The first night I could hardly sleep for all of the excitement.  I was up around 8 on Sunday so I could see the girls!  They were still in bed so I put them downstairs so I could feed them...and play with them.  Brian and I went to the feed store and got organic feed and a cute little waterer.


The plan is for them to eat our kitchen scraps and more importantly any bugs before they infiltrate the homestead.  I'll put their organic "by product" in the composter and then eventually I'll have some awesome soil for my garden next Spring.  One day (I'm not even sure when) they will start laying eggs.  Once they start that I want to rescue a Pilgrim's Pride chicken or two and add to the flock.


Oh, their names...The light colored chicken is mine and her name is Big Nose Kate.  The darker chicken is Brian's and her name is Calamity Jane.  They were hookers back in the Old West...great namesake, eh?  Now Brian is the Chicken Pimp and the chickens are his working girls.  (insert joke here)
Should we call this the Bordello??
 

1 comment:

  1. I think you better check your sources. I'm not sure Big Nose Kate and Calamity Jane were hookers. Just trying to uphold their reputations!

    ReplyDelete