Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hurts my Heart: The Final Chapter

After giving Jessie antibiotics twice a day for over a week he started feeling much better.  I could no longer hear congestion in his chest and he no longer had a runny nose.  His crow continued to be raspy, but the vet said he may have scar tissue.  I guess this is common for the over achieving rooster.  The chicken attacks started back up and Brian had to have security with him at all times...a green towel. haha.

Since Jessie was feeling so much better I decided it was time to contact the farm animal rescue that had agreed to take Jessie earlier.  I never got a response...meanwhile Jessie continued to "protect" his working girls.  This meant I had to carry something with me at all times to be a barrier.  He packs a mean punch!  this went on for quite some time...then Jessie started sounding congested again.  OY!!!  I felt horrible for him!

One day while out tending the flock (aka doing yard work) I heard my neighbor ask me through my fence if I get eggs yet.  I had been meaning to give her some since the whole family put up with the crowing and NEVER complained.  As I was delivering the eggs we got to talking about poor Jessie.  She graciously offered to "take" him and bring me Chicken Mole!  I quickly turned down the second part of the offer, but took her up on the "taking" Jessie part.  It really broke my heart, but what else was I to do?  I make a horrible farmer! 

So long story short...Brian and Breanne dropped Jessie off for his play date last Thursday and my backyard has been quiet ever since.  I still feel horrible, but it's for the best.  Let's hope I change this mindset before I have children, otherwise, they'll be getting toddlers in dog crates dropped off in their back yards.  No worries, I would send them with some food too.

(Insert sad music...)

When we still thought he was a "she."

First Picture

When we still called him MISS Jessie
AAARRRRGGGHH




Mohawks, Dirt bathes, and BIG feet.
Peace out!




No comments:

Post a Comment