Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hurts my Heart, Part Deux

Well, Jessie is getting a little too big for his britches.  His "rooster instincts" are kicking in and he's started getting VERY aggressive with Brian...and me...and mom.  As funny as it is to see someone run from a chicken it's time for him to go.

Craig helped me find a Rooster Rescue in the Metroplex, but I think in reality I think the woman is just a Chicken Hoarder.  She would not let me visit her facility and was a little rude when I questioned her so needless to say I did not let her have Jessie.  I thought it was odd when she told me she brings all of her roosters INSIDE every night so they did not have to be out in the elements.  I'm a little chicken crazy, but that has NEVER crossed my mind.  OK, maybe once when I didn't want the neighbors to hear Doc, but he would have gone in the garage and not my actual house.

Then mom got involved and found a farm animal rescue.  She spoke with the man in charge and he was happy to take Jessie.  He had a flock of hens so it was going to work out perfectly.  That's when Jessie got sick.  I diagnosed him with allergies, but the Vet (yes, we took him to the vet) though differently.  $65 later Jessie was diagnosed with a possible cold and possible scar tissue in his cock-a-doodle-doodler which was causing him to sound hoarse.  Since chickens sickness can spread quickly we did not take him to the rescue.  Mom wanted to be honest and so she told the rescue that we would bring him when he was feeling better.  So now it's antibiotics twice a day.  This means Mom and I have to wrestle a chicken and shove a syringe down his beak.

He wouldn't even hurt a fly...just Brian! hahaha
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment