Thursday, May 10, 2012

Is Water Supposed to Come Out of There?!?!

(Not sure why the pictures are turned...)

I'm not sure if I got a sickly batch of chickens or what.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I was under the assumption that chickens were easy and "cheep" to care for.  I feed them organic feed, mostly organic kitchen scraps, and they get to roam my back yard most evenings...what am I doing wrong here???

The past few days Miss Hattie has been kind of lethargic.  Sunday while I was napping in my back yard she jumped in my lap and fell asleep for longer than usual.  Then Monday when I got home from work I let the girls out and Hattie wasn't walking well.  She seemed very weak.  Mom and I made a quick decision to take Hattie to the vet.  We quickly put her in the carrier and I took off towards the vet's office.  It was only AFTER I arrived and stepped out of my car that I realized I was not dressed for public viewing!  I had on really old maroon shorts with a fairly new light blue Relay for Life shirt...keep it classy!  Anyway, Brian met me at the vet's office once he was off work.
on the way...
While waiting to be seen a little girl walked up to me because she wanted to pet the "cat" that I had in the carrier.  She was a bit surprised to see it was a chicken!  She gently touched Hattie's feathers and her foot.  Once she was done she started trying to recruit more people over to touch the chicken.  I'm sure Miss Hattie was less than thrilled.  haha

Once in our room I might have taken lots of photos.  I happen to like to photo-document everything.  Brian might have gotten a bit irritated...so I snuck in a picture of him too!

Doesn't he look happy?

She's plotting her revenge...
The vet comes in.  Feels around...and I mean feels AROUND (If you know what I mean)!  By feeling she was able to determine that Hattie did NOT have an egg stuck and that she probably had a GI infection that can be fixed with antibiotics (This translates into ME having to wake up earlier to administer meds).  We chit chatted a bit and she asked about Jessie...was sad to hear the news.

WARNING: The next few lines are not intended for people with weak stomachs.
(If you have one I do apologize.)

Then the vet had the bright idea to ask if Hattie had been having watery stool.  I responded with a "yes," but that wasn't good enough for Hattie.  She felt the need to demonstrate...ALL OVER MY CELL PHONE, the table, wall, and floor.  Got it!  Loud and clear, literally!  Ever heard of projectile vomiting?  Apply that concept to this story.  Absolutely disgusting.  It would have been HILARIOUS had it been Brian's phone and not mine, but Brian wasn't being a chicken paparazzi and irritating Miss Hattie.  I'm certain she did it on purpose.

Needless to say, I now have a new cell phone case (Thanks, Leslie.  Check's in the mail!)  I don't think I would have been able to put the phone up to my ear with the old case on...even after a good cleaning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment