Friday, May 25, 2012

Who said chickens were stupid...


Actually I have said it several times.  I may have to eat my words.

This weekend the whole family is going to Rockwood to celebrate Michael's life and spread his ashes.  I call it his "coming out of the closet party" because that is where he currently resides if you get my drift.  Since everyone will be at Rockwood we need someone to watch our plethora of animals.  Melissa is the lucky winner!  I sure am glad to have her help...she's great and I'm not just saying that because she's doing me a favor.  (I'm getting to the point...patience)  Anyway, last night Melissa came over so I could show her the ropes.  I showed her how to feed everyone and then I gave her the run down on the chickens.  There's an art to opening the coop without letting the girls out at the same time.  Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT Brian's way which is to blindly kick into the coop when the door is open.  You have to squat in front of the door so you can shoo them back with one hand.  Once done I shut the coop up and we went inside.

Fast Forward: several hours

I'm sitting at the table and it's dArK outside.  All of the sudden I hear a bang on the porch window.  All of the critters inside are quite curious.  I'm thinking it was a possum that fell and I was a bit upset that I didn't catch him hiding on my overhang.  Mom went to check what it was...PEARL!  Why was Pearl out after dark???  After a short investigation by Mom she found that I FORGOT TO OPEN THE COOP BACK UP FOR THE GIRLS TO GO TO BED so Pearl the Wonder Chicken came to let us know.  Isn't that cute?  I guess chickens aren't stupid after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment