Friday, July 29, 2011

Chicken Duplex

Miss Jessie escapes and I want my bathroom back so that can only mean one thing.  Jessie must go outside.  I walked with the feed store and they said it would be fine.  Since big chickens and little chickens can't get along they must be separated.  My first thought was to build a temporary coop...maybe out of a dog house or something.  Since time was of the essence, I couldn't really go looking around for a cheap/free dog house so I went to Home Depot.  Mom had her idea.  I had my idea.  Brian had his idea.  After at least 30 minutes of looking around at all the options I had an even better idea!  Why not make a partition for the coop I already own??? (brilliant, i know.)  The best part of the idea is that it was CHEEP (misspelling on purpose).  Brian wasn't too excited about the idea.  He thought it was unfair to the Kate and Jane because they would be squashed into a smaller area.  I figured making a new coop was unfair to my pocket book and all of the trees that would have to die in the process.  I WIN!

The partition took about two days to finish (just a few hours really).  I think it adds to the Beverly Hillbilly decor.  It's made out of old fence wood, chicken wire and bailing wire (the bailing wire adds a nice redneck touch).  This is not a very good picture, but I think it gives you an idea.  Miss Jessie is on the left.  Kate and Jane get the 2 story loft.

the claw-like thing is a deer antler for Jessie to use as a roost.
Jessie has only been out for two nights, but I think she is adjusting well.  I can only imagine going from a nice quiet air conditioned home to a dirty noisy hot home.  She's a little skittish still.  Hopefully that will go away.  I don't really want to eat eggs from a chicken that's on Xanax.  At night we put in a small cat carrier so she'll have some protection and during the day we take it out so she can have room to move around.


I really do feel kind of bad that Jessie was "thrown from her nest," but I needed my bathroom back. :^(

No comments:

Post a Comment